[Juser] Google Jabber servers
Roberto Jung Drebes
2005-08-24 00:12:51 UTC
Many of you should already know that, but Google has Jabber servers
for everyone with a GMail account running at talk.google.com. The
service is still unanounced, so we don't know what to expect of it.

Interesting anyway.
--
Roberto Jung Drebes <***@inf.ufrgs.br>
Porto Alegre, RS - Brasil
http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~drebes/
Williams, Kevin C
Shane Knysh
2005-08-24 02:31:31 UTC
Greetings,
Post by Williams, Kevin C
Yes, I logged in an got a message that said "Yep, we're here".
How do you log in?

Shane
shane.knysh at YonerDotCom http://churchofthegame.blogspot.com/

"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works,
the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat."
- Douglas Adams
Roberto Jung Drebes
2005-08-24 02:43:26 UTC
Post by Shane Knysh
Greetings,
Post by Williams, Kevin C
Yes, I logged in an got a message that said "Yep, we're here".
How do you log in?
With your gmail address as ID, and password.

No SSL supported.
http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~drebes/
Matt Warden
2005-08-24 02:45:07 UTC
Post by Shane Knysh
Greetings,
Post by Williams, Kevin C
Yes, I logged in an got a message that said "Yep, we're here".
How do you log in?
This is for gaim. Other clients are less confusing:

screenname: whatever (for a gmail account of ***@gmail.com)
server: gmail.com

click advanced options
check "TLS"
uncheck others
ensure port of 5222
set server to talk.google.com

hth,

- --
Matt Warden
Miami University
Oxford, OH, USA
http://mattwarden.com

Zhong Li
2005-08-24 05:31:44 UTC
Talk.Google.com is used only when you create Socket connection. After that, real
domain is gmail.com, it also use Session Bind, so JID will be
***@gmail.com/WebJabber+SessionID

I will wait until end of today. If nothing changed, I will update WebJabber site.

Also, if you have a local Jabber Client, you can set a host for gmail.com, set
IP same as talk.google.com(216.239.37.125), then you use email name as node,
gmail.com as server. This is easy way to handle it.
Roberto Jung Drebes
2005-08-24 11:12:41 UTC
Altough Google Talk (which was announced, finally) doesn't support
s2s connections now, they want to include federated services in the
future.

http://www.google.com/talk/developer.html

I think they are getting the idea of openness of Jabber. :)

[]s
http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~drebes/
Rene Bartosh

Rene Bartosh
2005-08-25 19:26:37 UTC

Post by Roberto Jung Drebes
Altough Google Talk (which was announced, finally) doesn't support
s2s connections now, they want to include federated services in the
future.
http://www.google.com/talk/developer.html
I think they are getting the idea of openness of Jabber. :)
[]s
--
Roberto Jung Drebes <drebes at inf.ufrgs.br>
Porto Alegre, RS - Brasil
Post by Roberto Jung Drebes
From Rene Bartosh (Gmail account) <kirjava at gmail.com>
Personal: http://kirjava.net.nz/
Work: http://eksion.net/
Rene Bartosh
2005-08-25 19:26:37 UTC

Post by Roberto Jung Drebes
From Rene Bartosh (Gmail account) <kirjava at gmail.com>
Personal: http://kirjava.net.nz/
Work: http://eksion.net/
Roberto Jung Drebes

http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~drebes/
Roberto Jung Drebes

http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~drebes/
Marvin Preuss
2005-08-24 06:23:10 UTC
On 8/24/05, Matt Warden <***@gmail.com> wrote:

hi,
Post by Matt Warden
server: gmail.com
click advanced options
check "TLS"
uncheck others
ensure port of 5222
set server to talk.google.com
i have no luck with that at all....with the original client i can
connect but not with this one...does anybody use gaim in here?
any help is welcome
--
http://www.xsteadfastx.de
xmpp:***@jabber.ccc.de
Eduardo Pereira Habkost
2005-08-24 14:09:43 UTC
Post by Marvin Preuss
hi,
Post by Matt Warden
server: gmail.com
click advanced options
check "TLS"
uncheck others
ensure port of 5222
set server to talk.google.com
i have no luck with that at all....with the original client i can
connect but not with this one...does anybody use gaim in here?
any help is welcome
It worked on Kopete here, choosing SSL and port 5223 (not 5222).
--
Eduardo
i have no luck with that at all....with the original client i can
connect but not with this one...does anybody use gaim in here?
any help is welcome
It worked on Kopete here, choosing SSL and port 5223 (not 5222).
did anyone try Miranda for Windows, does it work?

i could not login to Google Talk with it :^/

-
Luiz
gerardo roig
Gerardo
Hal Rottenberg

Michael Vang
2005-08-26 15:01:12 UTC
Post by Hal Rottenberg
http://psi-im.org/wiki/Google_Talk_HowTo
Make sure you have qca-tls installed or it will not work... In Debian
this is a recommended package but it is not installed by default...
Mike (Xyzzy)
harm ybing
2005-08-26 16:23:23 UTC
Op vrijdag 26 augustus 2005 17:01, schreef Michael Vang:
I like to make an account and the page ask me to click the psi symbol in he
bottom left corner, but there is no any symbol in the bottom left so what's
left? there is an example in the right corner but thats just a picture

Henk

[edit]

Account Setup

click the Psi symbol in the bottom-left corner
select 'Account Setup.'

file:/home/henk/Desktop/Image:Gt-menu.png
Google
Hal Rottenberg
2005-08-26 16:25:58 UTC
We can help you off-list. See the forum or development mailing list
here: http://psi.affinix.com. Also be sure to go to the wiki there
are more screenshots.

thanks
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:***@jabber.rocks.cc
http://halr9000.com
Hal Rottenberg

http://halr9000.com
Hal Rottenberg

http://halr9000.com
harm ybing

Google
harm ybing

Google
Michael Vang
Mike (Xyzzy)
Michael Vang
Mike (Xyzzy)
gerardo roig
Gerardo
Hal Rottenberg

gerardo roig
Gerardo
Hal Rottenberg

Luiz Pimenta

Luiz
Luiz Pimenta

Luiz
Eduardo Pereira Habkost
2005-08-24 14:10:54 UTC
Post by Marvin Preuss
hi,
screenname: whatever (for a gmail account of whatever at gmail.com)

Marvin Preuss

xmpp:xsteadfastx at jabber.ccc.de
Zhong Li

Marvin Preuss

xmpp:xsteadfastx at jabber.ccc.de
Roberto Jung Drebes

http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~drebes/
Matt Warden

Roberto Jung Drebes

http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~drebes/
Matt Warden

Shane Knysh

- Douglas Adams
Shane Knysh

- Douglas Adams
Williams, Kevin C
2005-08-25 19:49:08 UTC
I'm not familiar with the federation concept of jabber. It sounds like
it would allow other jabber servers to communicate with each other
allowing user1 from server1 to communicate with user2 on server2? If
so, are there efforts to allow for federation between jabber and
non-jabber messaging systems such as yahoo!, msn AND AIM?

-Kevin
Hal Rottenberg
2005-08-25 20:02:04 UTC
Kevin,

I would start here:

http://www.jabber.org/about/overview.shtml
Peter Saint-Andre
2005-08-25 20:06:51 UTC
Post by Williams, Kevin C
I'm not familiar with the federation concept of jabber. It sounds like
it would allow other jabber servers to communicate with each other
allowing user1 from server1 to communicate with user2 on server2? If
so, are there efforts to allow for federation between jabber and
non-jabber messaging systems such as yahoo!, msn AND AIM?
Jabber is essentially just like email (except it is more secure because
you can't fake your from address etc.). Just as on email I
(***@jabber.org) can send a message to you (we'll call you
***@boeing.com), so on Jabber I (also ***@jabber.org) can send a
message to most anyone who has a Jabber account (e.g., perhaps also
***@boeing.com), unless their domain (e.g., boeing.com) does not allow
what we call "server to server" connections. Right now, Google Talk does
not have server to server functionality turned on (in fact I don't even
think they've coded it up yet), so their service is not "federated" with
the rest of the network. Eventually it will (we hope), but not yet.

As to Yahoo, MSN, and AIM -- we've been working on that for the last 6
years by trying to make the Jabber/XMPP network larger and larger,
getting big companies to adopt our technology, etc. I've written about
it recently here (scroll down to the end):

http://www.jabber.org/journal/2005-08-24.shtml

Hope that helps,

Peter
--
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation
Hal Rottenberg

Peter Saint-Andre
2005-08-25 20:07:05 UTC
Post by Williams, Kevin C
I'm not familiar with the federation concept of jabber. It sounds like
it would allow other jabber servers to communicate with each other
allowing user1 from server1 to communicate with user2 on server2? If
so, are there efforts to allow for federation between jabber and
non-jabber messaging systems such as yahoo!, msn AND AIM?
Jabber is essentially just like email (except it is more secure because
you can't fake your from address etc.). Just as on email I
(stpeter at jabber.org) can send a message to you (we'll call you
kevin at boeing.com), so on Jabber I (also stpeter at jabber.org) can send a
message to most anyone who has a Jabber account (e.g., perhaps also
kevin at boeing.com), unless their domain (e.g., boeing.com) does not allow

Hal Rottenberg

Peter Saint-Andre

Williams, Kevin C
2005-08-25 20:43:31 UTC
I wish Boeing would adopt jabber :). We do have jabber in SoSCOE which
is an army product but not as an enterprise IM tool. Instead we have
Microsoft Messenger using the RVP protocol :(

Thanks for the explanation Peter.
Roberto Jung Drebes

http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~drebes/
Williams, Kevin C